Week by Week

Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Friendship Journey

Blog # 2 (pages 18-32)
We were made to be God’s friends. “If we are going to learn how to live at the Next Level, then we must cultivate a heart for Friendship with God”(McBath 17). The Bible is simply a story of God’s pursuit of an intimate relationship with you. When we lock into that purpose, the fight begins. Satan, a fallen angel, is after you because he can’t have what you have been given access to – a friendship with God. Though he is real, we know that we ultimately have the victory in the end because of the work of Jesus Christ. We know that even when we are walking in friendship with God, we will have frustrations, disappointments, and struggles. Some of it may be the enemy’s attack, and some are simply everyday troubles we will face (John 16:33). These troubles can either build up or tear down our relationship with God. What have you taken away from this week’s reading that has shed light on your friendship journey with God? How have you allowed the frustrations and disappointments in life to bring you closer to God’s love? How does God’s love keep us from condemnation when we encounter disappointments and failures?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bishop illuminated a profound point in this weeks reading. The profound point was the enemy desired from God what we now have with God, which is a friendship. This is a monumental truth. Even though I knew Christ died to restore humanity back to God, for whatever reason, I was not cognizant that Satan was jealous of the believers’ relationship with God. What this truth does for me is that it makes me hold on to my relationship with God a little tighter. It also reveals the enemies influence in my life whenever I am tempted to do something that will damage the relationship I have with God. As a result, I have a new perspective on my frustrations and disappointments. Now, I am learning how to rest in God because I know that He is my friend and my responses to my trials are indicative of the quality of my relationship with Him. Therefore, I am not going to focus on my issues as much as I will the health of my relationship with God. Thus, whether my frustrations, disappointments, and struggles are the result of the enemy’s attack, bad choices, or simply life happing, I take comfort in knowing that God is my friend and these limitations are temporary. Now my understanding of God’s love is deepening, and I know not only does God love me, but he wants the best for me. The issues of my life are now effective in drawing me closer to God, and teaching me to trust HIM more! What a friend!